Tuesday 10 February 2015

INTO THE WOODS REVIEW

*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*
Many people have criticised this film and, to be honest, I can't understand why. I thought this was a fun musical with a unique narrative. The songs are really catchy, especially the first one, 'I Wish', within a few minutes, I found myself secretly mouthing the words! If you're not a fan of musicals, then I advise you not to watch it. I'd recommend this to fans of Les Miserables, Mamma Mia! and Enchanted
The tagline on the poster reads 'Be Careful What You Wish For' which pretty much sums up the film's story. 
A baker, played by James Corden, and his wife, Emily Blunt, are desperate to have a baby together but unfortunately they can't have one because of a curse the witch put on the baker's family many years ago. Suddenly, the witch herself, played by Meryl Streep, bursts in and tells them they can have their child if they collect four following items from the famous fairytales: the glass slipper from Cinderella; the hair as yellow as corn from Rapunzel; the red cape from Little Red Riding Hood and the cow from Jack and the Beanstalk within three days. Of course, the baker and his wife agree to do this and so their adventure begins, as they head 'into the woods'. 
I really enjoyed watching this film, I think it's one of Disney's best musicals. What I loved about this film is that it can be dark at times which I was surprised to see as Disney films are mainly bright, happy and funny. I was very shocked at the scene when Cinderella's stepsisters were trying on the shoe and when it wouldn't fit, their mother ended up chopping off their big toe and heel in order to make it fit! While this does happen in the original tale, Disney showed nothing like this in their classic animated adaptation from 1951, So, if you're thinking of taking children as young as 5 to watch this film, I'd say be aware that there are scary scenes that are unsuitable for children. I'd recommend this to mature children aged about 10+.
I also loved the actors' portrayals of their characters, especially Meryl Streep as the witch. Her make-up looked incredible and made her look 100 years older! And she has a great singing voice as well. Anna Kendrick as Cinderella was a favourite too. She showed a whole other side to Cinderella that we've never seen before: does she really want to be with the Prince? And Emily Blunt as the baker's wife, I loved watching her try desperately to get all the items and her scenes with James Corden as the baker are really funny, I loved their on-screen relationship, I could see how much the baker cares for his wife and her safety. 
This film is full of singing, surprises, comedy and dark plot twists.
If you're a fan of the actors featured in this film and musicals, you'll love this.
7/10





No comments:

Post a Comment