Sunday 25 October 2015

MY 5 FAVOURITE HALLOWEEN FILMS

Since it's Halloween, I thought I'd tell you my Top 5 Favourite Halloween Films.
While I'm not a fan of horror films like Insidious or gory movies like Saw, I still like watching scary thrillers. This list includes 3 animated and 2 live-action films. Yes, I'm 18. Yes, I still like watching animated films. Anyway, these are my favourite films to watch during Halloween.

5. Monster House (2006)
I was only 9 when I went to see this at the cinema and I remember being absolutely terrified of this film. Even now, almost ten years later, I still find it scary. Like the title suggests, this is about a teenager, DJ, who is shocked to discover that he is living across from a house that has human-like abilties. He tells his friend, Chowder, and crush, Jenny, and they try to tell the police but they don't believe them so it is up to the trio to try and discover the meaning behind this literal 'monster house' and how they can destroy it, all during Halloween.
When I was 9, I didn't think I would ever enjoy this film but now, aged 18, I love this film. It has everything that a Halloween film needs: it is set during Halloween; it's scary; has a great, unique story and has funny and likeable characters. The animation isn't bad but it's not exactly Disney or Anime but that doesn't matter as it is a great film.

4. Hocus Pocus (1993)
This is a classic Halloween film. If, like me, you're not a fan of horror and would much rather watch a comedy, then I would definitely recommend this. It's a Halloween film but it's not scary and is really funny. The story is about three witches who, after three centuries, are accidentally brought back to life on Halloween. Their plan is to stay youthful by stealing the lives of hundreds of children and it is up to two teenagers and a young girl to try and stop them with the help of a black cat. 
Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy are hilarious, and at times scary, as the three witch sisters, Winifred, Sarah and Mary. Winifred (Midler) is clearly the leader of the three and will stop at nothing to achieve her plan of staying youthful; Sarah (Parker) isn't the brightest witch but she makes up for it with her flirtatious skills and Mary (Najimy) is probably the least scary of the three but still goes along with her sister's plans.
The three protagonists are likable too: the main protagonist is a boy named Max who after reading out a curse accidentally brings the three witches back to life and is determined to stop them; his crush, Allison, who, after leaving her Halloween party, helps Max to get rid of the witches and Max's 11-year-old sister, Dani, who is brave and isn't afraid of the witches.
If you haven't seen this film, then I'd definitely recommend it. It is suitable for all ages, even adults, and is one of the funniest Halloween films ever.
3. The Addams Family (1991)
Some people may find them annoying, some people may find them funny. I am the latter, They are one of the most famous families in the world (excluding the Kardashians/Jenners), they have had different adaptations: an 1960s live-action TV sitcom; two animated series (in 1973 and in 1992); three live-action films (in 1991, 1993 and 1998) and even a musical (in 2010). My favourite adaptation, though, is the live-action film that was released in 1991. Like Hocus Pocus, it is more funny than scary but it is still a great film nevertheless. 
This gothic family consists of: Morticia Addams; her husband, Gomez; their daughter, Wednesday; their son, Pugsley; Gomez's brother, Fester and a creepy hand known as Thing. They're far from being the perfect family but what makes them so likable, in my opinion, is that they don't strive to be perfect. They know that they're different but won't change for anyone. 
I loved the actors in this film as well: Anjelica Huston is amazing as Morticia Addams, it's like she was born to play her; the late Raul Julia plays her on-screen husband, Gomez, who shows his love and passion for his wife and family in his own unique way and Christina Ricci is amazing as Wednesday, she is an 11-year-old creepy sadist which makes her hilarious to watch.
2. Corpse Bride (2005)
It's hard to believe that this film was released a decade ago. I remember watching this in the cinema and being surprised at how much I enjoyed it as I noramally didn't like watching this kind of film. Stop-motion is one of my favourite types of animation and director, Tim Burton, uses it in a really effective way. 
The story is about Johnny Depp's character, Victor Van Dort, an awkward and shy man, who is engaged to Victoria Everglot, (Emily Watson) and can't remember his wedding vows so, to help him practise, he runs away into the forest and comes across a stick in the ground. He decides to use this stick to practise his wedding vows and places the ring on the stick but, as it turns out, it is not a stick but the finger of a literal 'corpse bride' (Helena Bonham Carter) who has mistaken his vows and now believes that they are married, much to Victor's horror. He then becomes caught up in the world of the unliving and must find a way to end his 'marriage' to the Corpse Bride so he can marry Victoria, his 'true love'.
This is one of Tim Burton's best films. If you like Beetlejuice and The Nightmare Before Christmas, then I can guarantee that you'll like this. It's scary, sometimes funny and has some of Burton's best characters, including the Corpse Bride herself. Of course, no film would be complete without a score by Danny Elfman, who also sings as Bonejangles, one of the skeletons in the world of the unliving.
Of course this includes voices from friend Johnny Depp and, back then, partner Helena Bonham Carter, but also includes voices from: Joanna Lumley who is the voice of Victoria's mother, Maudeline; Albert Finney who is the voice of Victoria's father, Finis; Richard E. Grant as the voice of Barkis Bittern, the villain of the film, who wants to marry Victoria and the late Christopher Lee as the voice of Pastor Galswells.
With a great range of characters and voice acts, musical numbers and a brillaint story, this is definitely one of my favourite Halloween films and one of Tim Burton's best films.
1. Coraline (2009)
I only watched this film a couple of months ago and, it's safe to say, I loved it. I was always put off by it because I thought it was too scary for me but I was wrong. Yes, it is scary, but that's why it's the perfect Halloween film. The stop-motion animation is amazing. 
The story is about Coraline, voiced by Dakota Fanning, who, with her parents, has just moved house and soon becomes bored and starts to feel neglected by her parents who are too busy with their new house and jobs to spend time with her. She discovers a door that leads to a parallel world where everyone has buttons for eyes. Coraline finds her mother, known as the 'Other Mother', who, unlike her real mother, spends time with her and cherishes her. Coraline thinks she's happy in this parallel world but it's not long before things get scary. The 'Other Mother' becomes obsessed with keeping Coraline and sowing buttons onto her eyes and Coraline must escape into the real world. 
This film is similar to Spirited Away, one of my favourite Anime films, as they're both about young girls ending up trapped in a new, unusual world. While I would say that Spirited Away is my favourite of the two, Coraline is still a brilliant film. While it is mainly scary, there are plenty of humorous moments. Coraline is a great character as she is brave and determined to go back home. After living in the parallel world, she soon learns that everything is not what it seems and that she should be careful for what she wishes for.
This is directed by Henry Selick who is best known for directing the classic stop-motion animation film, The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) so if you liked that I can guarantee you'll like this.

So, those were five of my favourite Halloween films. I'd definitely recommend them if you are looking for something to watch this Halloween season.
Thank you for reading my blog and Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment