Tuesday 23 February 2016

HOW TO BE SINGLE REVIEW

*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*
How To Be Single is probably one of the funniest romantic comedies I've watched. Most romcoms are full of the same cliches and focuses on relationships between a man and a woman. However, I think How To Be Single is one of the few comedies that focuses on the relationships between girls: in a friendly, non-sexual way. When I was growing up, I was led to believe, by the films I watched, that I needed to have a boyfriend by the time I was 16. I'm 18 and I still haven't a boyfriend but, when watching How To Be Single, I learned that it's okay to be single. Women don't need a man in their life to be happy and vice versa. 
The film focuses on Alice (Dakota Johnson) who has recently broken up with Josh (Nicholas Braun) and moved to New York to live with her sister, Meg (Leslie Mann). However, this is her first time being single in quite a few years and she doesn't know how to behave and how to enjoy being single. That is, until she meets Robin (Rebel Wilson), a woman who has never had a relationship and has various one-night stands. She teaches Alice that she doesn't need to be in a relationship with a man to be happy. She is probably one of the funniest characters in the film. Alison Brie stars as Lucy, a single woman who is constantly using the free WiFi at the local bar which is where she meets the bartender, Tom (Anders Holm). She never interacts with Alice, Robin or Meg but her story is both sweet and funny. 
I've never seen Fifty Shades Of Grey, and I have no plans to, but I can safely say that this is Dakota Johnson's best role yet. She is both funny and likable as Alice, the woman who is experiencing being single for the first time. I also loved Rebel Wilson as Robin. She steals every scene she's in with her comidic timing and hilarious one-liners. Leslie Mann is great as Alice's sister, Meg, who is a midwife but has no plans to have a baby, until one heartwarming scene where she is left with a woman's baby. I really liked Alison Brie's character, Lucy, who is constantly meeting men through dating websites but can never seem to find the right one.
I think this film has to be one of the most unique comedies I've ever watched. It's full of humour but there's also some sentimentality in there too. 
This film is perfect at entertaining its audience and teaching us that it's okay to be single.
8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment