Friday 23 December 2016

PASSENGERS REVIEW

*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*
​Passengers was my highly anticipated film this year. It features my favourite actress, Jennifer Lawrence, as one of the lead characters and is a combination of some of my favourite genres all in one film including sci-fi, drama, thriller and romance. Safe to say, I had high hopes for this film.
Before watching Passengers, I discovered Jon Spaihts' original script. After reading it, I can understand why it was on the blacklist which is a list of the most liked scripts. Spaihts succeeds in creating two likeable characters and a compelling space adventure that is full of tension with a sprinkle of romance and humour. I pictured both Lawrence and Chris Pratt in the two lead roles and knew that director Morten Tyldum made the right choice in casting them as their characters. Speaking of Tyldum, he manages to bring Spaihts' script to life and turn it into a really entertaining film. Of course, there are a few flaws but what film doesn't have flaws?
Lawrence and Pratt star in an exciting sci fi-thriller about two passengers, Jim Preston (Pratt) and Aurora Lane (Lawrence) who are on a 120-year journey, aboard a spaceship called the Avalon, to another planet, Homestead II, when their hibernation pods wake them 90 years too early. Jim Preston and Aurora are forced to unravel the mystery behind the malfunction as the ship teeters on the brink of collapse, with the lives of thousands of passengers in jeopardy.
The first 15-20 minutes of Passengers focuses on Jim, as he is the first to wake up early, and we see him battling loneliness and depression for a year. His only company is an android bartender, Arthur (Michael Sheen). This leads to Jim making a life changing decision. Many critics have been giving Passengers negative reviews and, to be honest, I can understand why. This is because of the choice that Jim makes and it may change the audience's opinion of him. While I don't condone his actions, I didn't hate him for what he did as I've never been a position like his where I'm entirely alone. Many people do crazy things when trapped in a depressing mindset. This is what makes Passengers so thought-provoking as I did wonder what I would do if I was trapped alone on a spaceship.
This where Aurora comes in and, because she and Jim are the only two passengers awake, a friendship develops which soon turns into a romance. This is where Passengers is at its most entertaining as there's clearly chemistry between the pair. In a montage, we see them get closer as they dance, watch films and go on a date together. Passengers is worth watching for their performances. In my opinion, I didn't really like Pratt's previous roles, including Owen in Jurassic World and Peter Quill in Guardians Of The Galaxy, as, to me, he came across as a bit irritating. However, I thought his performance as Jim was solid as, apart from the one action he makes, he's a generally likeable character who is prepared to do anything to save Aurora and the other passengers when the Avalon goes down. Lawrence is mesmerising as Aurora and, like most of her previous roles, portrays her as a strong individual. She's not afraid to stand up for herself and, like Jim, risks her life to save others. Another performance worth mentioning is Sheen as Arthur who is an android bartender and serves Jim and Aurora. He brings humour to his role as he doesn't always say the right thing but is fun to watch. Laurence Fishburne makes an short but memorable appearance as Gus Mancuso, the captain of the Avalon, in the film's climax.
Speaking of which, I really enjoyed the climax. When the Avalon begins to shut down, it's up to Jim and Aurora to try and fix the ship. It's thrilling, full of tension and, although I knew what was going to happen, I was still on the edge of my seat.
The setting and design of the Avalon is really impressive. When Jim is walking around the ship near the beginning of the film, I was in awe of how stunning it looked. In a way, it made me wish I was there just so I could explore the ship.
The visual effects are amazing. With a sci-fi film, the effects have look realistic and, fortunately, the computer generated imagery is some of the best I've seen. The scene where Jim and Aurora fly outside the Avalon is one of my favourites as it felt like I was out in space with them.
If I'm being honest, I think judging a film entirely on one character's decision isn't right. There's so much to enjoy about Passengers and I highly recommend giving it a watch and making your own opinion of this film. Like I mentioned earlier, this was my highly anticipated film and it didn't disappoint.
8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment