Saturday 31 July 2021

JUNGLE CRUISE REVIEW

 *MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*

Because it was based on a ride at Disneyland, Disney’s live-action feature, Pirates of the Caribbean was a surprise hit both with critics and at the box office when it was released in 2003. Its success led to four sequels being released over the next fourteen years. Like Pirates of the Caribbean, the story Disney’s latest adventure packed film, Jungle Cruise, is also inspired by a popular attraction located at Disneyland.
Jungle Cruise focuses on wisecracking skipper Frank Wolff (Dwayne Johnson) and intrepid researcher Dr. Lily Houghton (Emily Blunt) who travels from London, England with her brother, MacGregor (Jack Whitehall) to the Amazon jungle and enlists Frank's questionable services to guide them downriver on his ramshackle-but-charming boat, La Quila. Lily is determined to uncover an ancient tree with unparalleled healing abilities that possess the power to change the future of medicine. Thrust on this epic quest together, the unlikely duo encounters innumerable dangers and supernatural forces, all lurking in the deceptive beauty of the lush rainforest. But as the secrets of the lost tree unfold, the stakes reach even higher for Lily and Frank and their fate hangs in the balance.
Although it’s not without its flaws, including weak special effects and a predictable narrative, Jungle Cruise benefits from the chemistry shared between Blunt, Johnson and Whitehall and the lively adventure sequences. It’s clear that the trio are having a lot of fun and, as a result, I enjoyed watching them. Blunt stands out as Lily, who is Disney’s female version of Indiana Jones. She’s a scientist seeking the Tree of Life as its petals have healing properties. Johnson is charming as Frank who is the captain of the steamboat. Prior to watching Jungle Cruise, I noticed that Whitehall has been criticised for his portrayal of Lily’s sister, MacGregor. However, I found him to be amusing. The main problem with his character isn’t Whitehall’s performance, it’s the fact that Disney have described him as his first gay character, however, this is only briefly hinted in a scene he shares with Frank. I think that if Disney want to include characters that represent the LGBTQ community, they should embrace it. Another fun character is Jesse Plemons’ villainous Prince Joachim, a deranged and ambitious German aristocrat who finances and leads a military expedition to claim the Tree of Life for himself.
I think that those who have been on the Jungle Cruise ride at Disneyland will, most likely, enjoy the film more than those who haven’t. Although I visited Disneyland when I was a child, I don’t remember going on Jungle Cruise, however, following my watch of the film, I definitely want to return to Disneyland and ride it. Many people will argue that Jungle Cruise is simply a way to promote the attraction and make money off it. Although I do agree with this, I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing. Following the release of Jungle Cruise, I can imagine that the popularity of the ride will increase. I can also imagine that the producers behind the film are hoping that it’ll be just as successful as Pirates of the Caribbean and lead to several sequels being made. Although Jungle Cruise is a lot of fun and packed full of adventure, I found the narrative one of the weakest aspects as it’s predictable and unimaginative. Because of this, I think that a sequel is unnecessary, however, I wouldn’t be surprised if one is made in the next few years.
Prior to watching Jungle Cruise, I read a few reviews and a quote that stood out to me was it’s “a movie that implicitly asks ‘What’s wrong with good old-fashioned entertainment?’ The answer is ‘Absolutely nothing’.” I agree with what this critic is saying as a film doesn’t have to be perfectly made in order to be enjoyed. I knew that Jungle Cruise wasn’t going to be the best film I’ve ever seen. However, I was hoping that it would provide me with other two hours of escapism through fast paced adventure and fun performances delivered by its cast and that’s what I got. Those looking for a film with realistic special effects and an original story will be disappointed.
Jungle Cruise was originally meant to be released in cinemas last year but, like a lot of films in a similar position, its release was delayed until now. However, as well as being shown in cinemas, it’s also available to watch on the streaming service, Disney+, for a premium access fee of £19.99/$29.99. I think that this pricing is expensive as it’s more than a single cinema ticket but is suitable for a big family wanting to save money. Since the release of Jungle Cruise in cinemas and on Disney+, there’s been a lot of controversy surrounding this decision with actor Scarlett Johansson suing Disney for violating her contract that said her film, Black Widow, would only be released in cinemas. Although I can understand that Disney don’t want to risk anyone’s safety, with the pandemic still going on, I don’t think that releasing a film both in cinemas and on streaming on the same day is a good idea as piracy has become easier with people recording films from their home. It’s also unfair to cinemas that have struggled financially since they were forced to close last year. I’ve frequently said this but I much prefer watching films on the big screen as they’re the perfect form of escapism especially in these difficult times. Although I could have easily watched Jungle Cruise at home, I’m glad I didn’t as it was actually cheaper for me to experience it on the big screen. 
Jungle Cruise is adventure packed with Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt delivering fun performances.
7/10


No comments:

Post a Comment