Sunday 3 February 2019

IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK REVIEW

*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*
Two years ago, there was a shock at the 89th Academy Awards, when the wrong winner for Best Picture was announced. It was believed to be Damien Chazelle's musical, La La Land, however, it was revealed that Barry Jenkins' drama, Moonlight, was the true winner. Whilst I loved La La Land, I was hoping for Moonlight to win Best Picture and I'm happy it did. Because of the impressive success that Moonlight received, both with critics and at the Academy Awards, expectations were high for Jenkins' next feature which is If Beale Street Could Talk, based on James Baldwin's novel of the same name. However, does it live up to expectations or is it a disappointment?
Set in early-1970s Harlem, If Beale Street Could Talk is a timeless and moving love story of both a couple's unbreakable bond and the African-American family's empowering embrace, as told through the eyes of 19-year-old Tish Rivers (KiKi Layne). A daughter and wife-to-be, Tish vividly recalls the passion, respect and trust that have connected her and her artist fiancé Alonzo Hunt, who goes by the nickname Fonny (Stephan James). Friends since childhood, the devoted couple dream of a future together but their plans are derailed when Fonny is arrested for a crime he did not commit.
While I think Moonlight is Jenkins' best film, his latest feature, If Beale Street Could Talk doesn't disappoint and tells a heartfelt and heartbreaking love story. I hadn't read Baldwin's book and I'd only heard about the feature at the end of last year so I didn't know what to expect. Fortunately, like I was with Moonlight, If Beale Street Could Talk proved to a pleasant surprise. If there's one thing Jenkins is talented at, it's creating a moving and powerful story that will make you feel all kinds of emotions during its runtime, including happiness, heartbreak, sadness and hopefulness. That's what If Beale Street Could Talk had me feeling anyway 
While Moonlight was a huge success at the Academy Awards in 2017, winning Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor for Mahershala Ali and Best Adapted Screenplay. What surprised me the most about If Beale Street Could Talk was the fact it wasn't nominated for more Oscars. At the time of writing this review, it currently has three nominations at this years Academy Awards, including Best Original Score, Best Supporting Role for Regina King and Best Adapted Screenplay. Of the three it's currently nominated for, I think King is most likely to win for her supporting performance as she has won a Golden Globe and I wouldn't be surprised if the Academy awarded her. While she doesn't have much screen time, King leaves a lasting impression as Tish's loving and supportive mother, Sharon. After seeing If Beale Street Could Talk, I was shocked when I realised it hadn't received a Best Picture nomination. I'm happy with the majority of this year's nominees for Best Picture but if I could replace any of the nominees with If Beale Street Could Talk, it would be Vice. As much as I liked Adam McKay's feature, I agree with those who don't think it's Best Picture worthy. Considering Jenkins won the Best Picture award two years ago, I'm surprised his latest feature was overlooked. However, I am glad that it's received three nominations and I hope that it wins.
The aspect of If Beale Street Could Talk I was most impressed by was the acting, especially that of King and the films' two leads, Layne and James, who share chemistry and are convincing as a couple. Their relationship drives the film and why it is successful as a romance. I was surprised to discover that this was Layne's feature film debut as she gives a strong dramatic performance as Tish. While James has appeared in more films, this is the first feature I've seen him in and he gives an empathetic performance as Fonny. While Tish is optimistic and hopeful that Fonny will be released soon, he isn't as positive and becomes increasingly worried that, during the birth of his first child, he'll be behind bars. It's a heartbreaking situation that no one should have to face, unfortunately, because the accuser, Victoria Rogers (Emily Rios), has run away to Puerto Rico, they can't question her and ask her to free an innocent man. 
The only thing I'm disappointed by is the reaction of some people to If Beale Street Could Talk. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I do find it unfair that a lot of people are calling it 'boring'. It's a drama, it was never going to be a fast-paced, action-packed film like so many of our audiences are used to. While I do enjoy films such as Avengers, I appreciate features like If Beale Street Could Talk because they are realistic, tell original and moving stories that tackle subjects such as racism and provoke thoughts in its viewer's mind. 
Overall, with strong performances from KiKi Layne, Stephan James and Regina King, Barry Jenkins brings James Baldwin's novel, If Beale Street Could Talk, to the big screen and creates a moving love story.
8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment