Wednesday 3 February 2021

MY FIVE FAVOURITE CINEMA EXPERIENCES

 


If you know me, you’ll know how much I love going to the cinema. For me, it’s the perfect form of escapism as I can watch a new film with no distractions. I remember this time last year, I was really excited for the upcoming film releases, including Black Widow, A Quiet Place Part II and No Time To Die. Unfortunately, after England went into lockdown following the outbreak of COVID-19, cinemas were forced to close leading to the majority of films being delayed to 2021. Although England is currently in another lockdown, I’m hoping cinemas are able to reopen this year.

In this blogpost, I’ll be sharing five of my favourite cinema experiences.


5. Watching Gravity in 4DX
When Gravity was first released in 2013, I didn’t watch it at the cinema as its premise, which surrounds a stranded astronaut struggling to survive in space, scared me. However, I watched it on Blu-Ray a few years later and I really enjoyed it. Sandra Bullock delivered an outstanding performance as the astronaut, Ryan Stone, trapped in space. The most impressive aspect of Gravity was its special effects. It was hard to believe that Bullock wasn’t actually in space and the film was created using computer generated imagery. This is why I regretted not watching Gravity at the cinema. Fortunately, my local cinema, Cineworld, showed it in their 4DX screen which made the viewing experience all the more exciting. For those unfamiliar, 4DX is a unique viewing experience with the seats moving in time with the action on-screen and stimulating effects including water, wind, scent and strobe lighting. Although I’ve seen a lot of films in 4DX, including Inception, Jurassic Park, Terminator: Dark Fate and Jumanji: The Next Level, Gravity is my favourite as it was the first film I saw in 4DX and I found it to be a really exciting way to watch a film. Although it is quite pricey, I highly recommend watching a film in 4DX. 

4. Watching Incredibles 2 at Cineworld’s Secret Unlimited Screening
This may come across a surprise but Brad Bird’s The Incredibles is my favourite film by Pixar Animated Studios. It’s action packed and funny with memorable characters and incredible (pun intended) animation. This is why I was so excited for the sequel which was first released in the US in June 2018. Incredibles 2’s release in the UK was a month later in July the same year. I wasn’t expecting to watch it until then, however, I was lucky enough to watch it at Cineworld’s Secret Unlimited Screening almost a month earlier. The secret screening was exclusive to Unlimited members, who pay a monthly fee, Obviously, because it’s a secret screening, audiences aren’t aware of the film they’re watching until it starts. On the day of the screening, I wasn’t sure what the film was. When it was revealed to be Incredibles 2, I was so happy and so were the rest of the people in my screening who all cheered when the title popped up. Although a lot of sequels as they fail to match the quality of its predecessor, that wasn’t the case with Incredibles 2 which I thoroughly enjoyed. 

After cinemas closed in March 2020, I wasn’t sure when they would next reopen. Fortunately, with new health and safety measures put in, including social distancing seats and the availability of hand sanitisers, cinemas reopened at the end of July 2020. When they reopened, I saw a lot of films including the Back to the Future trilogy, Inception, all of the Harry Potter films and several new films including UnhingedBabyteeth and Proxima. However, because Christopher Nolan is one of my favourite directors, his latest film, Tenet, was one of my most anticipated of 2020, however, I was worried that it wouldn’t be released in cinemas. Fortunately, with cinemas reopened, Tenet was released in August. The day before its official release, it had received a mostly positive reception from critics so I was hoping it would be good. Fortunately, Tenet met my expectations and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although, like many people who saw it, I was left confused at certain points during the story, however, by the time it finished, I understood what Nolan’s intentions were and that was to create an exciting and unique action film. There are too many unoriginal films being released which is why I really admired Nolan for making Tenet, which was my favourite film of 2020.


2. Watching Parasite at Odeon’s Screen Unseen
Throughout 2019, Bong Joon-ho’s latest film, Parasite, was one of the most talked about films, with many people saying that it was the best film of that year and critics lauding Joon-ho’s clever and original screenplay and his direction. Because of this, I was interested in watching Parasite, unfortunately, it wasn’t due for release in the UK until February 2020. Although my local cinema is Cineworld, I often visit Odeon who frequently hold early preview screenings, named Screen Unseen. Through their social media, Odeon offers clues for the secret film they’re showing. In December 2019, many people guessed that the Screen Unseen could possibly be Parasite. Because of this, I booked myself a ticket in the hopes that it would be the highly praised film. Fortunately, it was and Parasite didn’t disappoint. It’s funny, surprising, shocking and, undoubtedly, one of my favourite films from 2019. Joon-ho thoroughly deserved to win four Oscars at the 92nd Academy Awards last year, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay and Best Foreign Film. It’s one of the greatest films of all time and I’m glad I was able to see it before its release in the UK in February last year.


1. Watching Avengers: Endgame, the highest grossing film of all time
Avengers: Endgame was the highly anticipated films of 2019 as it was the epic conclusion to the films released in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The previous film, Avengers: Infinity War, ended on a shocking cliffhanger with many fans of the MCU eagerly waiting for the follow-up, Endgame.  In order to avoid spoilers, I watched Endgame on its opening day on April 25th, 2019. Although I wouldn’t describe myself as a die-hard superhero fan, I can understand why they’re so popular and successful at the box office. A lot of superhero films feel predictable and lacking in tension. That’s not the case with the Avengers films as they feature exciting action sequences, memorable and interesting characters and a star studded cast. Endgame is definitely one of the best films in the MCU and I’m not surprised it beat James Cameron’s Avatar to become the highest grossing film of all time. 

So those were five of my favourite cinema experiences. While I can understand why people prefer watching films at home, in my opinion, nothing beats watching a new film on a big screen and being sat on comfy seats. Although I’ve been watching a lot of films at home, I become easily distracted by my phone, however, at the cinema, I always turn my phone off and I find it easy to focus 100% on the film. I really hope cinemas are able to reopen this year as there are lots of new films that I want to watch on the big screen.

I’m supporting @Cinema_UK’s campaign to Keep The Magic Alive. If you are missing the cinema as much as I am, click here to visit their website, enter your postcode to find your local MP and send a pre-written email asking them to help support cinemas. The whole process is easy and only takes a few minutes. 

Thank you for reading my blogpost. 










No comments:

Post a Comment