Thursday 2 April 2015

THE SECRET WORLD OF ARRIETTY REVIEW

*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*
This is one of the first 'anime' films I had watched and I loved it. Based on Mary Norton's book, The Borrowers, this tells the story of Arrietty, a 13 year old Borrower. Borrowers are tiny people that 'borrow' small items from humans in order to live. The film begins with Arrietty going on her first borrow with her father but she is spotted by a human boy, Sho, and her father soon decides that they have to move as they believe humans are dangerous but as Arrietty gets to know Sho, she realises he is not as dangerous as her father made out to be and Sho must help Arrietty rescue her mother from his caretaker, Haru.
Before watching this, I had watch the 1997 film, The Borrowers, starring John Goodman and Jim Broadbent and I loved it so I knew I was going to enjoy this film and I did.
This is a very unique story written by Mary Norton and screenplay written by anime legend Hayao Miyazaki and the whole thing just works. Arrietty is a brave and adventurous girl and doesn't let her fears get the best of her. Sho is a quiet boy who moves to live with his grandmother before he has an operation on his heart as he has a condition and soon befriends Arrietty. 
This was the film that convinced me to start watching more anime films as they are really creative and the animation looks beautiful. 
7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment