Sunday 3 May 2015

ST TRINIAN'S REVIEW

*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*
I was 10 when this was first released and, while I didn't get most of the crude jokes about sex, drugs or alcohol, I still loved it. I thought it was funny and it made me want to go to a school like St. Trinian's. Now, almost 8 years after its release, I still love it just as much, maybe even more now I understand the jokes. The film stars Talulah Riley as Annabelle Fritton, the niece of the headmistress Miss Fritton, who has just started at St Trinian's and doesn't fit in to any of the school's stereotypical groups (chavs, geeks, posh totties and emos) until she learns that the school has gone bankrupt and the students must find a way to pay the money off in order to save their beloved boarding school.
This film has a great cast list with Rupert Everett pulling off the role as both Miss Fritton and her brother, Carnaby (Annabelle's father). His performance as Miss Fritton is so over the top, it's hilarious and I love it. Also starring: Colin Firth as the school minister and Miss Fritton's former love interest, Geoffrey Thwaites; Gemma Arteton as Head Girl, Kelly; Russell Brand as Flash; Lena Headey as English teacher Miss Dickinson and many other familiar faces. 
This film is full of witty and crude jokes and, bascially, a British version of Mean Girls, except, in my opinion, better. I recognised 90% of the actors and they were actors, you wouldn't normally associate with comedy or a feminist film like this but they are all brilliant as their characters in this. 
This film is also full of British humour and sends a great message to young girls. Most adults think this film is awful and sends a bad message to girls but I disagree. For example, no girls are the same, they are all different and fit into their own stereotype. I remember watching this film and not once did I think 'why does that emo have such creepy makeup?' or 'Why are the chavs so rude?', I just accepted everyone's differences and didn't think twice about it. I would say that St. Trinian's is the reason why I am so accepting of people that may not be accepted in today's society. 
I would recommend this film to fans of Mean Girls and romantic comedies. 
8/10


No comments:

Post a Comment