Saturday 29 August 2015

PIXELS REVIEW

*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*
When my Mum showed me the trailer for this back in June, I thought it looked really good. The idea of retro video games taking over the world really appealed to me. In the past, I have wondered what it'd be like if the video games we played took over the world. And here's the result. I do think that it could've been better but there were quite a few funny moments which I enjoyed.
Since this is directed by Chris Columbus (who has directed comedy classics such as Home Alone, Home Alone 2 and Mrs. Doubtfire), I was expecting a lot from him. Unfortunately, it wasn't as good as aforementioned films but it's still pretty good.
This is based on the short film by Patrick Jean and stars Adam Sandler as Sam Brenner, Kevin James as Will Cooper, Josh Gad as Ludlow Lamonsoff and Peter Dinklage as Eddie Plant. The film begins with Sam and Will as kids in 1982 playing arcade games such as PacMan and Donkey Kong. Their arcade playing skills gets them sent to the Arcade Game World Championships. Brenner is doing great until he comes up against Eddie Plant, the record breaker for Donkey Kong. Unfortunately, he loses. 
Now, 33 years later, those skills will come in handy when aliens misinterpet video signals of them playing the video games as a declaration of war and Brenner and his friends are the only people who can stop this pixelated war.
Okay, the first 40 minutes made me roll my eyes a bit. There were a few funny lines here and there. What annoys me is that whenever a female appears in the film, she has to be a love interest for the main protagonist. And this is what happens to Michelle Monaghan's character, Violet, whose husband has just recently left her for a younger woman. Brenner turns up at her house to install a home theatre system and he finds her crying in her walk-in wardrobe. The two really don't get on first so why the director forced a love story in there, I will never know. This is a film about classic arcade games trying to destroy Earth, there didn't have to be a love interest in there. Violet works for the President and helps Benner and his friends destroy these Pixels,
The best scene in the movie is when Pacman shows up and it's up to Brenner, Ludlow and Eddie to destroy him. This is where I laughed the most as it was one of the most funniest scenes.
Before watching this film, I thought it had a similar aspect to Ghostbusters in the way that something unnatural has come to destroy Earth and it's up to four guys to destroy it and they're both comedies.
Overall, it's not the best comedy film as it could've been better. I would suggest taking the love story between Brenner and Violet out and focusing on the Pixels trying to destroy Earth.
6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment