Wednesday 26 August 2015

THE MAZE RUNNER REVIEW

*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*
Since the second one in this series is being released next month, I thought I'd do a review of the first, The Maze Runner. I hadn't read, or even heard of, this series before I watched it in the cinemas. I thought it was really good with a unique plot and great action sequences.
Dylan O'Brien plays Thomas, a boy who has just woken up and can't remember anything. He soon learns that he and a whole community of boys are inside a maze and the only way they can get out is by sending 'Maze Runners' into the maze and find an escape route. Unfortunately, the maze changes every night and the Maze Runners must get back before the maze closes and they end up stuck there. What makes things worse is that inside the maze are robotic monsters called Grievers that kill the people who are left over night. Thomas then soon learns that the boys have been stuck for three years and they are yet to find a way out. Can he help the others a way out of the maze?
I thought Dylan was great at Thomas, he shows his determination to get out of the maze. I recognised Thomas Brodie-Sangster (best known for his role romantic comedy Love, Actually) who plays Thomas' friend Newt and sticks by him even through the hardest times. Will Poulter plays Gally who has been stuck inside the maze for three years and when Thomas discovers a way out and comes up with a plan, he is against it as he believes there is no way out. I think each of these actors were really good at their roles. 
Like I said before, I haven't read the books so I don't know how accurate it is, but I definitely think it's a great film on its own.  
I really enjoyed watching this as it has great characters and a unique plot. I'm eagerly awaiting the second one.
7/10
Read my review of The Scorch Trials here

No comments:

Post a Comment